The Neophyte Entertains

When I was a young woman, my mother put me to the test. It was probably inspired by my panicked call to her one afternoon insisting that she talk me through how to make rice for dinner. She didn't laugh or drop the phone. But she could have. After all rice was something I'd eaten all my life. I knew all the ingredients - just didn't know much beyond that.  My mother probably wondered what on earth I'd been doing all those years. Had I just been completely oblivious to what went on in the kitchen? For the record, I was paying attention. I was just paying attention to when dinner would be ready, but not how it was prepared.
So - about this little test. My mother decided not long afterwards that it was time for me to invite her over for dinner. Fear set in almost immediately. At this age I could whip up a mean hamburger or hot dog.  
Frankly there was no way to compare our skills, as my mother made Chateaubriand just as easily as meatloaf and mashed potatoes. But I gave it a try.
I don't remember the menu I ended up serving, but I do remember the biggest lessons from that night. They are:
  1. Relax and enjoy yourself in the kitchen
  2. Your guests probably enjoy being with you more than the meal itself
  3. Have your menu planned (and if it's a big deal, have a backup plan just in case)
  4. Understand how to time your meal preparation correctly (and give yourself enough time)
  5. Don't cheat by bringing in take out - your parents can tell
  6. Don't forget to make the rolls
It took me many more attempts at entertaining before I completely mastered these lessons. But that's why we started Mingle - for you, our neophyte host or hostess. We share our insights on how to start hosting at home and move on to planning larger events with ease. So if you're just starting to entertain - take a deep breath we are here to help.

No comments: