Back-to-School Party!!!

Summer is fast coming to an end, and always draws mixed feelings from both parents and kids. Back-to-School for me was exciting. It meant my mom buying me a new back-to-school wardrobe and reuniting with friends that I hadn't seen all summer. It also meant new pencils, pens, notebooks, and a fresh start to a new year of learning. For some, there can be a lot of anxiety. Whether it's a new environment, worries about making new friends or just plain going to class!

When my son Justin was starting the 1st grade, I wanted to make his first day of school a memorable one. That's when I came up with a fun idea for a Back-to-School Party!! We invited some of his old friends from last year, a few that he met over the summer at camp, and his neighborhood pals. I thought this would be a perfect way to end the summer and transition into his new routine.

Food

I keep the food really simple with a back-to school theme. I packed brown paper lunch bags with a sandwich (ham & cheese, pp&j, or turkey) cutting them into four, a juice box, a bag of chips, and a cookie. For a fun touch I labeled each lunch bag with the guest's name and put them into a big box that I decorated with cut outs of things you could find at school.

Activities

This was also fun, but simple. I planned a Scavenger Hunt for school supplies!! I ordered many of my items from (Oriental Trading Company) to keep it affordable-- pencils, pens, easers, crayons, markers, etc. The kids just loved it, and they all left with new school supplies for their favors!!!

Now that's a fun and memorable way to start a New School Year!!!

No comments: